Unsung Heroes of Claims!

Few months ago, I interviewed a young candidate who expressed a surprising passion for insurance claims. Her enthusiasm reminded me of my early days in the industry, when I once was full of zeal and grand visions.

I recall a town hall with Brian Dupperault in Singapore. He proudly announced that he helped the company through a crisis and returned the company's debt from the government at a profit—I left feeling like a superhero, ready to save the world of insurance.
Fast forward 14 years, and here I am, still in the trenches of claims, still trying to make a difference. When recently asked why I stay in this job and what makes me happy, I found myself stumped. My answer? “I’m not sure!”
Claims are rarely glamorous. Most people buy insurance as a precaution, never expecting to need it. When they do, it's usually not a pleasant experience. In the insurance world, the claims department is often seen as a “cost center”—the part of the business that handles complaints and messes. Despite the assurances from underwriters and brokers about the importance of claims, we’re often only remembered when things go wrong.
Yet, that’s what keeps me going (interestingly). The unglamorous nature of claims can be weirdly fulfilling. Someone needs to advocate for people in difficult situations, and that's how I play superhero. If everyone is chasing revenue and accolades, who’s looking out for the insureds? Standing up for people in the moment of needs, like my mom, gives what I am doing purpose.
So, 14 years of claims - I am still here because the joy in my work comes from a sense of charitable purpose. It’s still about making a difference like how I started, but unfortunately it's often behind the scenes and I am cool with it. Seeing actual movement, driving improvement, calming vulnerable clients, and providing peace of mind are what matter most. My growth is measured by the number of people I’ve been able to help and the peace I’ve been able to create.
As I walk through the streets of Singapore and see the signs of my many clients, I’m reminded that my work matters. Because of the team I led, people aren’t left to navigate their claims alone for too long. Striving for a higher position is about spreading that joy and assistance wherever I go, perhaps beyond Singapore. That’s my true measure of success and fulfilment in my job after 14 years.
Here’s to the unsung heroes of claims—may we continue to find joy and purpose in the unglamorous corners of the insurance world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tale of Two Hanois: How Time Transforms Travel

Today, I choose ME.

Secret Recipe for Triumphs: Visualizing the End